Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Learning new technology, Yay!!! I went into this class pretty annoyed because I'm an old man at heart and not a fan of learning new technology. As professor Farnsworth of Futurama said, "I like being old; no one expects me to talk to them, I don't have to see my parents, and I don't have to learn all your young people doo-dads!" (that's probably not a word for word quote because it just came out of my head, but you get the point) Needless to say I viewed this class as quite an obstacle to overcome. To make matters worse the screen of my computer broke and I had to learn how to use evernote while only being able to see a quarter of my screen and that quarter was freaking out enough to cause seizures. However, as I began to learn how to use evernote I legitimately started to see the value in it and I actually understood it! Whats even better is that I learned to use other new things in class. I bought a mac to replace my old PC and now I know how to use skype on it. An even better use of technology I learned in class was how to use dropbox, which I used to convert all the files from my old computer to my new one! All in all, this class was a lifesaver. I think in the future I need to be less skeptical of new technology and stop being a closed-minded old man. In the end I really enjoyed this class and got a lot out of it, so bravo EDUC 504!


E.

7 comments:

  1. Age is a state of mind. You'll never be old if you don't want to.
    It's a fact that younger people will always be a step ahead of us with new innovations whether they be digital, music, fashion - even in a literal sense - they will run faster as we age. But, that doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't try to keep pace.
    It sounds like ED 504 was an expensive day for you with the need to buy a new Mac (after last week's Art Fair difficulties,no less). But, you seem positive about the whole experience and now you'll move faster through the digital changes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this perspective Kevin. We are what we believe we are. Just because things are challenging or changing, doesn't mean we shouldn't try. If we can have this tenacity you describe, having a different (or rather, removed) experience with tech actually gives an edge for contributing to a group in a valuable way. My thought: be a lifelong curious learner, and all will turn out just fine.

      Delete
  2. Gulp - what an awful time for your computer to give up the ghost! Yuck! Glad Dropbox came in handy just in the nick of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! This blog is like a story with a 'happily ever after' ending. I know how you feel about learning new technologies though. Some of us 'old folks' are just so set in our ways and found ways that work for us and that we find easy. There's a learning curve in technology, but we're all young enough to overcome it. I'm glad that you found use, and especially that it had such a great affect on you (saved yoru life). I think you should apply your new attitude to everything, as should I. I know it's easier said than done, but it's nice to have a reminder, like your post, every now and then. So thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clearly you got more from your seizure-enducing 1/4 of the screen than I did on a full screen when it comes to Evernote as it still beats the bejesus out of me though it definitely seems like an awesome tool if I could only figure it out. Its great to see that this technology though intimidating has already been a great benefit to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS your post sadly lacks a title :( I believe it feels a little under appreciated

      Delete
  5. hey Elijah, I too seem to be a little bit closed off to new technology, maybe its the fact that we have to learn it in a class, or maybe because I'm lazy, but I guess i never thought of it the way you did - as being an old man, which i think seems quite fitting. Old men never really want to be bothered and simply want all things to stay the same, I guess thats the reason I was so closed off to technology in the first place since i didn't feel like learning all of this new stuff. I'm glad class enlightened you a bit since it only went so far as to close me down even more to new technology, but perhaps I just need to change my old man perspective and be more accepting of new stuff, even if I have to memorize 20 more logins to 20 different websites.

    ReplyDelete